Wednesday, April 18, 2012

On The Way To Cape May


The weather is getting nicer and the runners are coming out of the wood work. I am loving it! Last weekend I got to go to Cape May with some friends and I couldn’t have asked for better weather. Saturday morning I went for a run, started with a long sleeved shirt and jacket and less than 20 minutes in I am pretty sure the heat turned on about 20 degrees. I only did about 3.5 miles so it wasn’t too bad. Cape May is gorgeous! I always think of Al Albert’s song ‘On the Way to Cape May’ whenever I am getting ready to go to the shore. Every Friday they play it on Oldies 98 in the Summer. As with most things, I googled the song so I could post it on Facebook but then I came across Uncle Al’s Obituary :/ My mom and I had gone to the Berlin auction a few years ago and found ourselves in the music store wondering if Al Alberts was still alive and well… turns out he died in 2009 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Alberts Naturally I then spent a good 45 minutes looking at clips from Al Albert’s Showcase, the show he had on Sunday mornings (maybe it was Saturdays) for just about eternity…I used to watch it when I was a kid and pretend I was on the show. Ahhh memories, RIP Uncle Al, you were a gem.




Sorry to side track there, back to the run. The pics I posted, came out pretty well. You can see the Cape May Lighthouse if you run all the way to the end of Beach Ave. I remember going to the lighthouse about 8 years ago, it was really neat.



Broad St is rapidly approaching (Less than 2 weeks now) and I am getting pretty excited. The Inquirer is posting a different person’s story each day leading up to the run about their reasons for running it. It is really inspiring. The story today is about a man who lost 100lbs in the past year I think. Anyway he said he ran 10 miles in 88 minutes the other day and I was like ‘what?! That’s amazing!’ And I was a little jealous because last year my time was… 107 minutes, dude is 19 minutes faster than me…However I can guarantee he works a lot harder than I do.



I will leave you with this Chinese Proverb that I found while Googling Motivational Quotes:

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.


No comments:

Post a Comment