Monday, June 11, 2012

The Mental Shift

The difference between Homer (above) and the happy lady (below) is a shift of perception... I look like Homer when I am dreading what I have left, but I look like Happy Lady (this is what I decided to name her) when I think about how far I've gone or am simply enjoying those steps I am taking at that exact moment.
I started to write on Saturday after my 20 mile run and fell asleep, so let’s give it another try right now. I was aiming for 5 hours and fell short by 10 minutes. At about mile 14 I had started to negotiate with myself and came to the conclusion that 20 miles would be good. I am still planning on running 8 hours on Sunday and the justification at mile 14 said ‘alright Katie, cutting it short this week will be good, a little less pain to forget about…That way you will be fully ready for next week.’ It was a great day, a little hot, but it was good prep for July. The shade was wonderful and under the bridges there was a slight breeze. I did two full loops then an out and back from Lloyd Hall. This time I went around West river first since that will be our route as the Lone Rangers! Every water stop I visualized in my mind. I thought about the 4. Something mile Med tent in the parking lot on West River, how they have the huge light hooked up to the generator. And how I told my brother Sean, to suck it up so he didn’t get stopped as I was nearing mile 45. I laughed thinking about it.

I showered and watched the Phillies once I got home. I was really sore at the time. I had walked a lot of the second half but my feet hurt and I just wanted that Air Conditioner blowing on me as I curled up in bed. I finally nodded off in the 10th inning around 6:30 and slept 45 mins. The Phillies lost, but my nap was amazing.

This morning I got out for a 3.3 mile run and felt great after! It was a really nice morning and the sun has been rising around 5:30, which makes for a fully lit run for me. I think all the sleep I got this weekend helped, because I wasn’t very sore yesterday. I slept a lot! Which I am very happy about because today is a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment