Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Back on the Saddle

Good Morning Blog Peoples!!! I decided to keep my blog, one because I like the name, and two I feel like it holds me accountable to something else. I am not currently raising money for Team in Training, but I am signed up to do the Philadelphia Half Marathon on September 19, 2010. I printed out a schedule fully anticipating following it, and I am technically on Week 3 and have only ran twice, so I will be taking another alternative.

Last night I ran 4.2 miles (Says my Iphone GPS). I ran/walked I should say but def ran the majority. Last week, Monday or Tuesday I ran about 3.5 miles which was the farthest at that point that I have run since the Marathon, over 2 months ago!!
Not that I am trying to make excuses but since the last entry, I have passed an Anatomy & Physiology class.. Ok I was planning on that sentence having a lot more accomplishments in it but if you have ever taken a summer class then you know just how much time and work that was. I was in lecture and lab 3 nights a week (lecture-3 and lab-2). This summer session I have Psychology which does not have a lab so I will be done class by 8pm and therefore, NO EXCUSES!!

Running makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. Even though I am not always in a race or even if no one was watching, I get a sense of victory after every run.
Yesterday after I ran 3.5 miles I start telling myself “just walk, no worries, you did great” which is a good thought to have but I know that I wanted and was fully capable of running a little farther. So then my mind broke it down; “This is just how far you have to run today. Just for today run a little farther before walking.” And that helped.

I tend to always think about the big picture even when I am in training mode. Like when I run three miles, instead of getting the automatic sense of accomplishment I get a little fearful thinking that on September 19 I will run ten more miles after that three mile run. I have to constantly remind my mind that it is all in the preparation. Plus, like I wrote before; the announcer in Nashville said it best when he said “You have trained and can absolutely run this race, now think of it as your victory lap, because you have already won” Or something along those lines.

So this entry is a start to holding myself a little more reliable and just to get the positive/negative thoughts out there so they don’t waste as much time up in my brain. And now an inspiration quote to carry us through the day:

“Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.” -Japanese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment