Monday, July 25, 2011

Back to Training

Yesterday was my first team practice in a little while. We were in Valley Forge, bright and early (7:30a). When we trained there for the Spring Team in 09-10 the trails by the river were covered in snow, so we always ran the main loop at the park. Now that it’s summer we have been running the River path, because for the most part it is shaded. And it is Flat! It’s in the woods which is really pretty.





I told the coach that I didn’t think I could run the full 9 miles because I did 61 last weekend. He had the typical reaction, called me crazy, and they told me to run 30-35 mins today and work my way back up this coming week. When we got together to stretch he told the group that I ran that far and they all clapped, so I got bashful but it was cool. I ran for about 24 mins then turned around and went back to the water stop to hang out with the mentor running it, Lauren. Since I was taking it slow, I had a chance to take some pics!




















I did about 36 mins, once I was back to the water station so I’m assuming close to 3 miles. The downhill from the bridge made my knee hurt but other than that it wasn’t all that bad. I will need to work on the transition from running to walking to see if there are methods to help my bones. I talked with Lauren about being a mentor and let her know I applied to be one for Winter. I know I sign up for something new every week, but I am just looking in the grand scheme. Next Fall I will hopefully be starting Nursing school and I won’t be able to run marathons or anything like that for a very long time. Close to 3 years, with clinical on weekends. So I am trying to get my fill now so I don’t wish I did more later. I haven’t heard yet about the mentor thing, but I think they said this week or next we will know. If I do get it, then I am going to run Disney Full next year with the team. And if I don’t get it I will probably still run a FL full marathon before Spring. Sean caught the running bug and so I figure I can meet him somewhere down there.



 

I am going to run tomorrow morning, It’s suppose to be mid 70s. Perfection!




This pic above reminded me of Robert Frost's poem 'The Road Not Taken.' But it depends on the way you see it. Could be one road going into two or two coming together to make one...I was standing on the larger path where they both ended up going anyway, but for creativity sake that road's not in the pic :)


"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
~Robert Frost





No comments:

Post a Comment