Wednesday, November 18, 2009

First Event is Set!!!

Ok so much to catch up on. Let's start with the most important: The first event is Set!!





We are going to have a benefit (food, fun, dancing, etc...) on JANUARY 16, 2010 at the VFW in Berlin, NJ starting at 7:30 pm. Tickets are going to be $25 and this will include food, drinks, and fun!!! I am not positive on the time yet but I will post it as soon as we figure it out. I am so excited to get this off the ground, and my family has been awesome with helping out :)





Last Thursday night I went to the Great American Pub in Conshohocken to meet the rest of my team. I was excited and nervous to meet everyone. When I walked in I was greeted with smiles all around. I put on my 'Country Music Marathon' Name tag sticker, got my team shirt and bandanna and was on my way. I met my fundraiser mentor, Alison at the fundraising table and she had a lot of information there for us to take. After talking with her my nerves calmed a little more. She sounded so confident that if I truly want this, the money will all come somehow. I was glad to know that I was not the only person worried about the fundraising.





We had a chance to grab some food; soft pretzels, fruit, etc.. before introductions began. We met all of the coaches and staff and we also had a Hero there. A 12 yr old boy and his mother talked about his success story with Leukemia. It was amazing. We watched a video about another Hero who was part of a research for an alternative drug to Chemotherapy and he is doing wonderful today. With the money that LLS donated to research, they were able to develop this drug which saved this man's life. It was cool because the heroes, and the Dr's that they mentioned were all local. The Dr that helped with the medication for the man was from the University of Penn and the research Dr that helped the 12 yr old boy (who was an infant at the time his disease was active) was from Children's Hospital right her in Philly. That is one of the many things that is cool about Team in Training. Since I am apart of the South Eastern PA team, the money that I raise will go right back in to Southeastern Pennsylvania.


After the video we played bingo, but we had to communicate and get each other's initials wherever they fit. For example, if someone handed me their sheet of paper I would initial in a box that classified me "First TNT event" or "First full marathon." It was cool because I got to meet a woman who finished an Iron Man competition and someone who had a 'triple crown' meaning they completed a full marathon, triathlon, and 100 mile bike race. Then it was time to get down to business. We split into our different events; walkers, runners, triathletes..





We received our training schedules while we were huddled around, listening to the head coach. He said that there is a 99% completion rate. And that as long as we followed the schedule, there is no doubt we will be able to finish. I immediately looked ahead and saw the 22 mile runs that I will have to be doing in March and my stomach dropped. But by the end of the coach's speech I was filled with hope again that I can do this. The first training was this past Sunday morning, but I was out of town and unable to make it.





I ran a couple miles, while in Lancaster this past weekend. It is different to go from running in the city to running basically on a farm. It was a nice change. Monday morning, I started with the scheduled runs and ran about 3 miles; to the water and was early enough for the sunrise.


This morning I ran 2.3 miles in 21:10 mins, which is pretty good for me. I slept later than I had planned on and so I think that had to do with the faster pace. It was a little chilly this morning, but with the sun up, it was still a really pretty morning.





Can we talk about how awesome everyone has been with their donations?!!! We are up to $385!!! And there are a few cash donations I have yet to add to the site too. I am so excited to get this going. One thing they did say Thursday night was to be sure to push the fundraising now because in a couple months when I am running 35 miles a week, chances are I will not have too much time to be focused on it. So thank you all again for donating what you can. And to everyone for the continued messages of support :)

No comments:

Post a Comment