Saturday, April 24, 2010

Just a Little Bit Longer

Looks like my journey is going to be just a little bit longer. With severe weather warnings rolling in this morning the race officials changed the finish time from 7hrs to 4.5.. If you were not on the pace to finish in 4.5hts by mile 11, you were told to finish the Half.. We got word of the new rule yesterday afternoon and I wanted to cry when I heard this. I told my brothers what I had just heard on the radio about tge time restrictions and they told me it would be okay. Last night at our team meeting, our leader offered us a chance to run a full marathon next weekend if we were not allowed to finish today. The race is on Longbranch, NJ on Sunday. So it looks like my journey will be for eigth more days. I'm Comfortable with the 2:30 it took for me to run my half.. My goal is five hours for the full so I am right on pace.. I found out later that a lot of the runners were not allowed to finish so it actually worked out I only ran 13 and not like 20, because I think I would be more hesitant to run 26.2 next weekend.

On to this amazing weekend!!! I spent all day with my brothers walking around Nashville. We had our matching TNT shirts on for the inspirational dinner. When I walked in I burst into tears, because my mom and my dad were sitting there waiting for me!! They had planned the trip over a month ago and it was a surprise! I was sooo shocked and happy, words can't express the warmth I felt throw through me when I saw my whole family sitting at a table in Nashville, together. I was so surprised, one obviously because they were really there and I thought they didn't have enough money to come..but two, they are so bad at secrets!! Seriously all of them are like tge worst secret keepers, just like me, guess it's in the genes.
Now the silent car ride to the airport made more sense. My dad came to my apartment and drove me to the airport. What I didn't know was that, then he drove home to pick up my mon just to come right back to the airport.. They were in Nashville for over 24 hrs before I even knew it. I have felt so much love this weekend it is amazing. Even if my parents really weren't going to be able to make it, they have shown me so much support the past few months and I know I truly am grateful. Above and beyond doesn't even begin to explain these 4 <3
unfortunately my brothers will not be able to see me finish my first full marathon, but my parents will :) I'm coming to realize that the whole training, the past 5 months, is just as much a part of my first marathon as the final shebang. They have all been present; whether physically or emotionally my whole journey and so have so many of my friends.
This morning before the race began, they wished us good luck by saying "this is your reward to all of your hard work. Just enjoy, your victory lap" and that is such am awesome way to look at it.
So the story continues.. I'm gonna kick up my heels and do some country line dancin y'all.. Yeehaw

1 comment:

  1. I'm so incredibly proud of you! Especially because you're still determined to do what you set out to accomplish by running again next weekend! I knew you had it in you, you just had to know you had it in you. :) Just reading that your parents came too got me all emotional. Enjoy the rest of your time in Nashville!

    ReplyDelete