Sunday, January 10, 2010

What a Week!







I took these pics on my run tonight. This is about the 1 mile marker on the path at Kelly Drive, just about Sunset.
OK so I have to admit that I have been feeling guilty about this past week and it has kept me from updating. But then...today happened :)






I went up to Massachusetts last week to visit some friends. I left on New Years Day and came back on Jan 6. And in just 6 short days, my running slacked hard. Thursday Night, New Years Ever 2010...I rang it in with a couple friends, running a 5 K at the Art Museum at the stroke of 12. It was freezing and Wet and I loved it. I got 29:30, which is good for me. Under a ten minute mile :) Since my latest eye adventures, I have been rocking the glasses which was pretty annoying with the rain. But luckily it was on the path that I have run multiple times so I didn't really NEED to see clearly. There was a DJ at the boathouse where they had registration and snacks. We hung out for a little bit but then headed home. After walking a few minutes we decided against the cab. I got home around 2am and my hands have never been so cold. When I got into the shower they felt ten degrees hotter than the water. I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to put hot water on freezing skin, but thankfully nothing catastrophic occurred.






Friday we shipped up to Boston. I ran Saturday morning at the hotel gym, which was gorgeous by the way. They had fancy lockers that were opened with a magnetic key. I could have stayed there, in the locker room, for days. But anyway, I ran 4 miles on Saturday while I watched High Fidelity on the TV. Sunday I took off and spent the day sight seeing. The aquarium is awesome. Anyway back to training. Sunday night I stayed at my friend from college's house in Salem, MA. She was going to her gym on Monday morning and said I could tag along. We went to Planet Fitness and I hit the treadmill once again, this time for my long run. I ran 7 miles. Mentally I checked out at 5.5 miles and struggled through the last 1.5 miles. The treadmill only allowed you to set the time at 60 minutes so I had to stop and restart the machine to get the last mile. Of course when I was finished and cooling down I knew I could have run another mile, had my mind stayed in it. Tuesday I intentionally took off. After my run Monday my pinky toe started to hurt a little but it was just the usual uncomfortable feeling. My feet have been getting tore up but nothing crucial. Wednesday I flew home and just went to bed without running. This is why I feel guilty, Friday I woke up and was willing to run. I wanted to. When I got out of bed, my left foot was not happy. The heel that had been acting up the past two weeks, I could tell was going to be trouble. I didn't know that my pinky toe would be why I would be limping by the end of the day. My toe got grosser and grosser as the day went on and I did not want to do anything while at work, but I did have one of the triage nurses bandage it up for me.



After being a baby all Friday night, limping around and complaining. I came home and went to sleep. Saturday the team met to run 9 miles. I did not think I would be able to run half that and so I didn't go. I feel horrible for not just showing up but I was babying my foot and I didn't want to stand there and not be able to run with every one else.



When I was getting ready in the morning on Saturday I re bandaged my foot and well, it's gross but I just drained the problem. I mean all runners deal with this but I cringe just thinking about it. Don't worry I won't post the pics of my foot, but I did take a pic. After walking on it a little I decided to go for a jog in the afternoon. I just wanted to get out there, so I had no goal in mind and just went. It was a slow go with just under a 12 min mile but I ran for an hour, 5.2 miles.



I was relieved when I came home and my toe was still there :o



Today I was feeling good and I went out again just hoping to knock out a few miles. Then I decided to do my long run I missed yesterday. I ran 10 miles today!!!!!!!!!



This is the longest that I have run since last January!!! I am so pumped. Again I had about an 11 min mile, but who cares?! I ran for an hour and 49 mins. I went through West Philly and then up the path at the Art Museum and just around town, it was great!!



I can't explain the guilt I felt the past few days, but the joy I feel right now having run 10 miles and not once during that time did a negative thought come in mind, that I couldn't do it. That is the real victory.



Life is too short to not be honest. I was so worried about being looked down upon for missing a few days running, but I'd much rather tell the truth and deal with the possible 'upsets' of people, than live a lie.



No comments:

Post a Comment