Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mind Over Matter

It no longer is about if you can or cant, but if you will or won't.

Today was the hardest and longest run of my life! When we pulled into the Valley Forge park, it started snowing. There is still a lot of snow on the ground out there so we weren't able to run our usual route. Instead we ran up and back the 'service road' twice. Oh the HILLS!! The snow kept up for the first two hours of the run. I stayed with the group of girls I always seem to start off with, for the first 9 miles or so. Then I ran solo. By the time I did the loop twice, and just had that stinking service road left, my body was in pain. My right calf was hurting after about 4 miles but by the time I hit 13 both legs seemed pretty pissed at me. You know what though? I finished! I ran 16 miles this morning in 3 hours and 15 minutes.

This week has probably been my best week training. I had two 7 mile runs that both went smoothly. I started walking a minute after every 2 miles, and it is helping. Today I did not know the mileage exactly but I did the minute walk a few times. The last three miles I walked a little more though because the hills were just monstrous at the time. But I was not getting angry with myself that I had to walk. That is some progress. Different people have told me different things about when the mental wall comes in a marathon. I have heard mile 16, mile 20, and everywhere in between. I think mine is 11. I dropped back a good amount at the 11th mile, but mentally I tried to stay optimistic. As far as the physical wall, I would say mile 15 or 16. I have never been so tired as I was today. I came home, showered, and napped for 2 hours.

Like I said, this week was the best training. I got the runs done and was able to enjoy them instead of hoping they were done. Bed early tonight for sure. I know that I will be able to do the marathon now. I know I will. Only a few more weeks and less than a handful of long runs until the big day. My brothers and friend Jana are coming to Nashville and I am so excited to know that people I love will be there at the finish line. I am starting to get more and more excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment