Thursday, May 5, 2011

71 Days and Counting...

Ok Okay Ok… There are 71 Days til the 20 in 24 Race (check out the countdown clock to the right ;) Which means, I really need to stay committed to this. I ran the Broad Street Run on Sunday as ‘Catherine New- 35 F from NYC (Thanks Caroline: )’ and I ran it in 1 hr 47 mins. When I ran Broad St in 2008 my time was 1 hr 57 mins, so I am improving! Although I haven’t specifically trained for Broad St it was a Nice run. Nice meaning I did not want to throw up or die at the end, which was not the case in ’08. Maggie and I have been talking a lot about what we are going to need to do to make sure we get the calories we need and don’t completely want to die during this 24 hour race. I am currently reading “Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultra marathon” by Neal Jamison. Ultras, I believe, can be 30, 50, or 100 mile races. Anything over a marathon I’m guessing. Even though I am planning on walking the majority of the 24 hrs I still need to train! And that is what I have been telling myself the past two weeks. Sometimes I still think in my mind ‘it’s cool, I’m only walking’ but in actuality I will be burning the same amount of calories as if I were doing the same distance and running. It is roughly a little more than 100 calories burned per mile run/walked. So I will be burning 5,000+ calories in one day. Luckily, there is a lot of information out there on the correct way to replenish your body during such long runs, so I will need to keep reading.

The past couple weeks I have been inclined to get my butt up and out on the road before work. I always find it so rewarding to be able to run while the sun is rising however I am still completely stubborn in the morning when I start contemplating. This week; I intentionally took off Monday (Broad St was Sunday) then Tuesday, yesterday, and Today I laid in bed when my alarm went off at 5:15 and came up with every excuse under the sun as to why I should lay in bed just a little bit longer. Tuesday was my Chemistry final, and always my busiest day at work so that deserved another 13 slaps on the snooze. Then yesterday I said I would run after work and I did. Last night’s run was great. I did about 3.5 miles around the city. The morning runs just put you on this cloud for the rest of the day and the photo ops are way better. Don’t get me wrong last night I had my runner’s high, however it caused me to putz around til finally getting in the shower and laying down to bed close to midnight. Waa Waa, way too late to be up on a work night.

Anyway, moral of my babbling is: AM runs are way better, they make me feel alive. I can feel God in the sunrise and I love to see other runners who won against their alarm clock to get out at that hour and do what they love. On the other hand Night running is better than no running. I think I tend to pick up my pace in the dark too, which I guess could be good if I were running for time. Last week, I was tired but still made it out the door. I ran the night before so I decided to just jog to the water and meditate. It was gorgeous and peaceful. Even though I ran less than 2 miles my soul was fired up. Early mornings have something no other part of the day have, now if I could just get my bed to stop telling me otherwise, I’d be set :D






Here are some pics from the AM Runs:
































No comments:

Post a Comment