Monday, October 31, 2011

Working Out the Final Touches

Oddly, I am not sore today! Hooray!!! I did get a full 8 hours of sleep last night, well 7 hrs and 45 minutes. So glad for night time showers! I feel refreshed today :)

I was googling, and came across this link of tips from Hal Higdon for Marathon beginner’s. I don’t care how many races I run, I would like to remain a beginner please. Thank you. I think with only 20 days remaining I will read a little each day so I get more and more excited for the big day!
Marathon Tips  


Since it was just two coaches and I yesterday for the last 9 miles, I got to pick their brains. They told me to wear whatever I plan on wearing for race day, this weekend for the 18 mile run. Her exact words were ‘Nobody wants mystery chaffing day of.’ Agreed. I remember running this summer, I think it was the 6 hr run and my arms being chaffed for like a week because I chose to wear a ribbed tank top. Fail. But I learned my lesson and the 8 hr run was minimal chaffing I think. I would like to be loud in my attire choices, because why not? It will be something to celebrate!

I know I have brought it up several times through writing and in person, but the intro speech at the Nashville Marathon was my absolute favorite and I continue to think of race day this way. The announcer talked about the months it takes to train for a marathon, and how much that is a part of it. I mean race day itself is such a small part of the whole. He said ‘You all have put in your work already, now it’s time to take your victory lap. That’s what today is.’ Immediate goose bumps. (I have heard people call goose bumps, goose pimples at least 8 times in the past month and it still catches me off guard. TomAyto..Tomahto).

I have an 18 mile run and a 10 mile run left that’s it! I didn’t realize til just now, holy crap! 20 days left…less than 3 weeks!! And 10 weeks til Disney!!! Holy Moly!! Where did the time go?

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.”

No comments:

Post a Comment