Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Early Bird or Night Owl?

After hitting snooze for TWO hours yesterday morning, I was able to wake up today! Ok I hit snooze for 50 minutes but I was still up at 6:15 and got a chance to go to the gym. I ran 4 miles on the dreaded treadmill. I do always feel better when I can actually get up and going (I write it pretty much every other entry on here).

But are there actually benefits to the time of day you exercise?

I started to look up some things online and WebMD stated there is no real difference, just to make sure that you make it a routine.


      http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/whats-the-best-time-to-exercise

They said that some people can’t imagine sweating before noon while others like to do it first thing so that they don’t squeeze that out of their schedule by the end of the day. I feel more accomplished during the day when I do it first thing and also the second part listed above. Yesterday was a perfect example. I had plans with a friend but initially I said I can meet at 6:30, so I could get a run in before meeting up. Then I decided to go after, but when I got home a little after 9 and sat down… I changed my mind, again. But that guilt helped me eventually get moving this morning.

Tomorrow will be another story…I am going to try again to wake up but I always tell myself I have time after class on Thursdays. Friday I am running after work for sure, I made plans with someone else, which is my 100% guarantee I won’t let my mind detour from the game plan. The long run is Saturday this week though so it will be a short run, followed by my 2nd session of Bikram Yoga. I was hoping to get there at some point this week before Friday but it just isn’t looking that way. Unless miraculously I wake up at 5:15 tomorrow with the alarm…then I will be starting the day with a Yoga class.

       All I know is for today, I ran. Tonight hopefully I will be in bed by 10:30 or 11…Sleep is crucial. I was also reading online that sleep 2 days before a long run is most important. Tomorrow night, I need to sleep like a champ so I can crank my last 18 mile, training run out…






No comments:

Post a Comment